We’re hiring a General Manager
The VTL is looking for a new General Manager!
Term: 1 year including a 3 month probationary period, with a possibility of extension
Commitment: 25 hours per week including evenings and weekends
Remuneration: $20.62 / hour
About The VTL
The Vancouver Tool Library Cooperative (VTL) is a co-operative tool lending library at 3448 Commercial Street. We are a safe and inclusive community resource that facilitates consistent and affordable access to tools and related expertise through services, outreach and educational programming. We welcome all communities including women, non-binary people, LGBTQ2S, black people, indigenous people, people of colour, low income people, people with disabilities and intersections of the above. Our actions reflect our commitment to environmental sustainability and waste reduction.
Reporting to the Board of Directors, the General Manager is responsible for the management, coordination and delivery of the VTL’s core operations and services. As the only paid staff member of the VTL, the General Manager is responsible for a wide variety of tasks and requires a high degree of personal organization to be successful. Maintaining numerous relationships within the organization and with the broader community is important to the VTL and so excellent communication skills are essential to this role. The ideal candidate will be thorough and hard-working, understand what leadership means and contribute to a positive and inclusive atmosphere.
General Manager’s Roles and Responsibilities
- Work two to three shop shifts per week at the VTL’s location.
- Ensure the shop is clean, safe, organized and welcoming for members.
- Recruit, schedule and train volunteers in a variety of roles, including shop volunteers, workshop facilitators, events volunteers and volunteer coordinators.
- Enroll new members to the library and promote the renewal of existing memberships.
- Effectively manage and maintain the tool inventory and ensure its utility for VTL members.
- Reliably update and maintain our website, social media and other communications.
- Identify opportunities for, and coordinate, VTL events and workshops including our monthly “Intro to Tools” workshop.
- Build partnerships with other community organizations and foster cross-pollination among like-minded groups.
- Work effectively with the direction and assistance of the Board of Directors.
- Provide a shop update for the Board of Directors at monthly meetings and attend other appropriate business engagements.
Qualifications of the Applicant
- Experience in a managerial role is essential.
- Experience in a tool- or trade-related field is essential.
- Demonstrated self-motivation and the ability to exercise good independent judgement and take initiative.
- Ability to complete daily/routine tasks consistent with the ‘bigger picture’.
- Knowledge of how to fix and maintain a variety of tools and equipment is an asset.
- Experience working in a non-profit environment and with a volunteer board is an asset.
- Experience working in volunteer coordination and management is an asset.
- Proven ability to communicate clearly, concisely, and in a professional manner.
- Grow your personal network by working in one of Vancouver’s most dynamic and innovative community organizations.
- Learn and gain professional experience in a leadership role.
- Be part of a progressive organization with a diverse membership that provides tool and skill access to people of all identities, backgrounds, and abilities.
- Opportunity to develop skills with the tools and equipment used by makers, renovators, gardeners, crafters, and DIY enthusiasts.
- An opportunity to work closely with a passionate, skilled and fun group of volunteers.
The Vancouver Tool Library is committed to employment equity. Applications from members of the LGBTQ2S community, indigenous peoples, persons of colour, women, and people with disabilities are encouraged. Unfortunately, our shop is not fully wheelchair accessible at this time.
Please send your resume and a statement of interest to email@example.com. The position will be filled as soon as a suitable candidate is found. We look forward to hearing from you!